- 1.5kg Silverside of Beef joint
- 1 tablespoon of beef dripping or butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt and ground black pepper
- 8 red onions peeled and slit in a cross at the pointend (so they don't split in the oven)
- 4 heads of garlic halved horizontally
- few sprigs of thyme
- Pre-heat the oven to 210c gas mark 6.Rub the silverside joint with dripping and season with salt & pepper.
- Put the joint in the hot oven for 20min to brown and seal.
- Reduce the tempreture to 170c gas mark 4 and place the onions garlic and thyme around the joint add a 100ml water to the tin
- Cover with foil and cook for 2 hours unwrapping from time to time to added more water if needed then rewrap
- Remove the foil and open roast for 15min
- transfer from tin to a warm serving dish and let the beef rest for 5-8min. Keep the onions warm
- for your gravy rmove any excess fat from the surface of the pan juices,with the pan over a meduim heat add 100ml of red wine stiring and gathering up all the sticky bits
- add 100ml of water and 2 tablespoons of port or redcurrant jelly stir when melted reduce the liquid a little.
- Add 1 tablespoon of mustard and stir to thicken season as required.
- Serve with Vegetables and Yorkshirer pudding
- Truly English